The Equality and Diversity Committee meets fortnightly within the department. The committee is open to all and if you wish to join please contact the chair Nate Bastian.
We have recently been awarded the Juno Practitioner status where we have demonstrated that as a department we provide a ‘robust organisational framework to deliver equality of opportunity and reward’. More information on the IOP Juno project and the criteria for practitioner status can be found here.
LJMU holds an Athena Swan Bronze award. We are also working on a departmental Athena Swan Bronze application to officially recognise that in addition to LJMU-wide policies, our department is working to ‘promote gender equality and to identify and address challenges particular to the department and discipline’. More information on the Athena Swan charter can be found here.
The role of the committee is to oversee improvements in the ARI environment and relations at all levels in the interests of wider equality and diversity by:
- Embracing the six Juno principles of good practice
- Collating and annually reviewing statistical and qualitative data and receiving reports from relevant areas, including gender-disaggregated information on undergraduate, post-graduate and post-doctoral admissions as well as job applications, appointments and promotions
- Researching areas of good practice across the sector and producing departmental ‘Good Practice’ guides
- Generating and implementing an Action Plan, including monitoring progress and regularly updating the plan based on feedback from staff and students
- Reporting back to the departmental management board and central university committees to try and affect wider change in the pursuit of advancements in equality and diversity
The E&D Committee is made up of academic and support staff and students (postgraduate and undergraduate). The full committee is shown in the table below:
|Danielle Coogan||D.Coogan@||Danielle is an administrative assistant at LJMU since 2014 and has previously worked in student support at UoL.
Daniele is an ARI Listener
|Unconscious Bias Workshop, MHFA Training (Half Day), counselling administrator at UoL, Suicide Awareness Training.|
|Chris Copperwheat||C.M.Copperwheat@||Chris is a Reader and the Liverpool Telescope Astronomer in Charge. His research is based around time resolved studies of binary stars and transients.||Unconscious bias workshop.|
Matt is Head of Teaching at the ARI and works on novae as single degenerate progenitors of SNe Ia, using observations and simulations. Matt has been at LJMU since October 2001.
Matt is an ARI Listener
|IoP unconscious bias training. ILM Development Programme in Coaching & Mentoring.|
|Andy Newsam||A.Newsam@||Andy is Professor of Astronomy Education and Engagement, and is director the National Schools’ Observatory. He has been at LJMU for more than 20 years.||Unconscious Bias training|
|Phil James||P.A.James@||Phil is an ARI Listener|
|Manisha Shrestha||M.Shrestha@||Manisha is a PDRA doing time domain polarimetry mostly focusing on gamma ray bursts. Manisha is working on polarization data from Liverpool Telescope and will work on creating models to simulate the polarization behavior of various objects.||Unconscious Bias Workshop|